Creating a Web Messenger
The Flow XO Web Messenger is a bot interface that can be embedded in any website, landing page or web app. It can be accessed through our web widget.
Follow these steps to create a web messenger:
- In Flow XO, click Bots in the top menu bar, then choose New Bot.
- Now choose Web as the platform.
- Type in a descriptive name for the messenger.
- In the Welcome Text field, you can optionally provide some welcome text. If you leave this blank default welcome text will be used.
- You can change the Theme Color if you wish, which is the main color that will be used on the messenger window.
- For Header Text, provide the text that you want to display on the widget label and as the title of the messenger control. You can leave it blank to use the default text, 'Message Us'.
- Click Next to save your bot.
- The final step allows you to test the messenger (you'll see a test widget in the bottom right corner of the screen), and to copy and paste code to display a simple web-only widget.
- Click Done to finish.
Installing the Web Messenger
The web messenger is installed on your website, landing page or web app via our widget. The final step when creating/editing your web messenger will give you some pre-configured widget code to display a widget that opens the web messenger directly.
You should paste this code just before the closing </body> tag on your web page. The widget is designed not to slow down your page.
If you'd like to customize the color of the widget button, or to add other platforms (for example, if you want to give visitors the choice of chatting in the web messenger or connecting to you on Facebook Messenger), you should create a custom widget.
Welcoming a New User
When the user opens the web messenger for the first time, the message 'start' will be sent to it. You can look for the presence of this and welcome the user if you like.
Web Messenger API
Does the web messenger maintain state?
Yes. The first time a unique visitor opens the messenger, a session is stored in their browser (they'll also see the bot's welcome message too, if configured). When they return to your site, they'll see all their message history.
Of course, if the browser's storage is reset, the history will be lost.
What is the user's name and handle set to?
The web messenger is anonymous, and so the user name and user handle properties will be empty when you interact with a web visitor. You can always ask the user for their name.
Can the visitor send a file/location/image?
Not just yet, sorry.
Can I broadcast to the web messenger?
Yes, the web messenger works like any other platform. If you broadcast to a web messenger user, the next time the user visits your site and opens the messenger, they'll see the message(s).
Is it possible to control how/when the messenger is displayed?
Yes, you can use the Web Messenger API to control the messenger from any page that it's installed on.